|Healthy Greek Pie!|
In between the phyllo of this Greek spinach and cheese pie, there is a scrumptious and mouthwatering filling of spinach, feta cheese, dill, some mint and olive oil, sprinkled with a healthy blend of vitamins, flavonoids and phytonutrients.
The Greek grandmothers make this pie with homemade dough, but I find that to be too time consuming for someone like me. So I make this with ready-made phyllo dough, which makes it so much easier and quicker.
SPINACH AND CHEESE PIE- Σπανακοτυρόπιτα (Greek)
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Lightly oil a 30x40 cm. (12x15 inch) square baking pan.
- One pack of very thin filo pastry 450g. (1lbs)
- Fresh spinach 1 Kg. (2 lbs) 1 Kg. (2 lbs) frozen, thawed.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 bunches green leeks, diced
- One bunch of fresh dill, chopped (substitute 3 tbsp. dried.)
- Fresh Mint, chopped 4 tbsp
- Feta Cheese, crumbled 250 g (½ lb)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. The feta cheese is salted, so be careful not to add too much salt.
- Olive oil 60 ml ( 1/4cup)
- Olive oil for the pastry and pan 60ml (1/4 cup)
- 2eggs, lightly beaten
- Oregano, 1 tbsp. Dried
- Sesame, 3 tbsp.
- Wash and simmer the fresh spinach for a few minutes. Drain and squeeze out excess water very well. If using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water.
- Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Saute the onions and green onions until tender. Add the spinach, dill, mint, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the slightly beaten eggs and the crumbled feta cheese. Mix lightly.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly grease with a little olive oil the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Unwrap the Phyllo.
- Carefully remove the Phyllo roll from the plastic sleeve. Using a scissor or a sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make two stacks of sheets. To prevent drying, cover one stacks with wax paper and a damp paper towel, while working with the other.
- Layer half the stack of phyllo on the bottom of the pan making sure to brush each sheet with olive oil. Add the spinach mixture in an even layer.
- Continue to cover the spinach with the other layer of the phyllo, making sure to brush each sheet with olive oil.
- Brush the top layer of phyllo with olive oil and score carefully the pie into squares. Sprinkle the sesame on top.
- Bake in a preheated 175 degrees C, 350 degrees F oven until the pie turns a deep golden brown. Approximately 35-45 minutes of cooking time.