Sannel Larson

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Living with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Every Tuesday, I will write about  Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Why Tuesday, you may ask?  Well, I could probably talk about these two diseases any other day, except this day is very important to me. It was on a Tuesday, when I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So, what could be more fitting than to make Tuesday's on this blog, into my very own, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome awareness Day?



Years and Years of Not Understanding What Was Going On 
I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was finally given the diagnose in 2011. However, I have lived with it for so much longer. It has been years and years of not understanding what was going on - What was happening to me?  Going from doctor to doctor, getting medication described for all kind of illnesses and diseases. Doctors telling me with irony in their voices and a pat on my back; Oh, just get back out there and work, and you'll be fine!!  
Work!? When just getting a shower and getting myself dressed to go to the doctors appointment had drained me out completely, and was going to leave me bedridden for days. Oh, and I really did not appreciate that sympathetic pat on my back, since that pat had hurt so much that I just had wanted to scream. 

I Pushed Myself to Please Everyone
Even with the pain and exhaustion, I pushed myself to please everyone. I tried to be social, do the work that was expected of me, act like my normal old self, only to cry myself to sleep at night. However, the pain was horrendous and woke me up constantly during the night. With the lack of sleep, I could not handle the pain very well, and it just became worse and worse. 

I lost the excitement to do even the simplest things, since it meant my pain and exhaustion would triple. Soon, I became very depressed. I refused to get up from bed. Finally, I lost the will to live, even thoughI did not want to die, I could not go on. I stopped eating, knowing that my heart would not take this punishment for very long, and my long awaited relief would soon arrive and be a blessing. 
My story will continue next Tuesday. . . 



Facts on Fibromyalgia

When you hear the word Fibromyalgia, you immediately think of pain. When you hear the words, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you think of exhaustion. However, there are so many other symptoms a person with these diseases has to struggle with everyday, which you may not know about.


Living with fibromyalgia, FMS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, CFS- also known as ME, can often take over your life and turn you into a shadow of your former self. Except for pain, you have to struggle with impaired memory and concentration difficulties, apathy, anxieties, listlessness, fatigue, nervousness, panic attacks, irritability, faintness, tremors, painful intercourse, sweating, anxiety, heart palpitations, insomnia, feelings of guilt and failure and even suicidal thoughts. These are some of the more common symptoms one might meet.



There are Varying Degrees of Fibro
To understand fibromyalgia we must first have in mind that there are varying degrees of fibro. To many the fibro doesn’t limit them very much. They can still keep a job, do activities and socializing like normal people. To some the fibro may flare up once in a while and last just for a few days. Others may have just a mild version of fibromyalgia. And to some of us, the pain is so extreme that our lives had to change forever.

More facts on Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome will appear on this blog next Tuesday.













13 comments:

  1. My dear friend, I am so glad you are going to use your blog as a platform to discuss Fibromyalgia and CFS. Just maybe your story and the information you provide will help someone else realize they suffer from these illnesses and seek help. Maybe they will understand they have an actual illness and aren't simply going crazy.

    Maybe healthy people will learn more about Fibro and understand better the friend or loved one who suffers from it. Maybe they will be more compassionate and understanding toward those who suffer from this debilitating and often "invisible" disease.

    I'm proud of you, my friend, for opening up and sharing your story. I know it won't often be easy. Just know that your honesty and transparency will be helping others. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Rick's feelings. I feel a sense of honor and pride for your courageousness with sharing boldly. I bow and step back. I see leadership for many who desire to speak publicly, yet shudder sharing with relatives.

    I believe whole+heartedly an aura of healing will resound as thunder and bolts of lightning. Streaking from darkness through midnights fading blue sky a cascading light will scatter light across the sky.

    I look forward to Tuesday nights and this sharing of gnosis, experiential knowledge, and bonding with your growing readership on the World Wide Web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you suffer with this. I look forward to reading along with your journey. Your writing is always an inspiration and I know that your story will help others in the same situation. ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must feel better to have a diagnosis--I can't imagine going through this without understanding it--brave woman Sannel that you are--I have friends who suffer from these conditions--and I know it can and is difficult for them --and for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your illness but I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis for it. Thanks for sharing the info about the disease.
    But ... I'm also stopping by to let you know that you have been nominated for the "Liebster Award"! Congratulations! Stop by at http://thegreekhousewife.blogspot.gr/2013/02/and-award-goes-to.html#.URaRnmd40f8 to find out more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Rick. I truly hope more people will learn and understand what kind of damage, this crippling illness can do to people. Living with an invisible illness,is difficult many times - and lonely.
    I appreciate your beautiful and encouraging words, my friend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anonymous! Thank you for such a beautiful comment! It's wonderful to know that people care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Tammy! I have missed you and your always caring and sweet comments. I hope you are well, my friend.
    I'm delighted to know, you'll be coming along on my journey, since it can be very lonely. Thank you for your lovely visit and encouraging words.
    Blessings and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Audrey! Yes, even if the diagnosis was one, I did not want to hear, it was also a relief. I finally knew what was wrong with me. It did not lessen my pain or symptoms, but at least I knew, I had not gone crazy. Thank you for taking the time to visit, and to leave such a supportive and kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vicky! Oh my, such a delightful surprise! I'm honored! Thank you so much for your kind words and for the lovely award!
    Φιλακια πολλα!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much courage and a big heart Sannel; by sharing your experiences others will benefit .Your blog is so honest through and through.
    Last week was so hectic but this week I should be able to catch up with reading yours and do some more work on mine also. I don't know if you've come across this blog of mine Sannel:
    http://myselfandhow.blogspot.co.uk/
    This one is my main one and I am trying to connect the two from both sides.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Lots of love.
    Eddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eddy, I'm so sorry for my very late response. I somehow missed this one. I'll visit your blog as soon as I have a chance. Thank you for your visit and lovely words.
    Take care,
    Sannel

    ReplyDelete
  13. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comApril 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

    Hi Sannel,

    Healthline is interested in contributing a guest post to sannellarson.blogspot.com. We would be open to contributing any blog that would be of interest to your readers. Healthline bloggers have been featured on a variety of sites including:

    Washington Times: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tango-mind-and-emotion/2012/aug/10/how-healthy-choices-easy/
    Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/036515_diabetes_strawberries_prevention.html

    Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

    Warm Regards,

    Maggie Danhakl- Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline Networks, Inc. • Connect to Better Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments are my reward.
Thank you !