Sannel Larson

Friday, January 18, 2013

Kylie's Blossoms - A Review


I was born and raised in Sweden, where famous Swedish authors like Astrid Lindgren and Elsa Beskow captivated the hearts and imagination of mine and every other Swedish young reader, with their imaginative and adventuresome characters, like Pippi Longstocking and Peter in Blueberry land. I especially loved the books with rich and whimsical illustrations. I could let myself get lost for hours in the world of imagination and in the detailed, colorful pictures. I can't but to think, that all those children's books I read as a child are the reason for my wild imagination and playful attitude that has followed me all throughout my life.

  Kylie's Blossoms by Maria Jordan

Michael Friedman's richly illustrated pages with the vibrant colors of the seasons.

The love of reading can be one of the greatest gifts you can give a child


Even today, with my childhood years far behind, I'm still drawn to colorful book covers and can't keep myself from looking through children's books in libraries or book stores and revisit my childhood's delight of disappearing into a world of fantasy and magic. It's so important to introduce our little ones to books in their early formative years, and the earlier in their life, the richer their life will be. So I'm always on the lookout for inspiring and enduring books to give away to the children that's in my life, because a book and the love of reading can be one of the greatest gifts you can instill in children.


The illustrations are colorful and so sweet

Kylie's Blossoms – A must-own!


Recently, I happened to stumble upon a book written by the author, Maria Jordan. As soon as I saw the whimsical illustration on the cover of “Kylie's Blossoms” and reading an excerpt from the book, I know that I just wanted to find out more. So I purchased the book from Amazon, and got acquainted with the 7 year-old Kylie and her friend Teddy.

I would have to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that Maria Jordan's book “Kylie's Blossoms” is absolutely wonderful! It was such a delightful joy to open up the cover of this book and to find each page richly illustrated and beautifully written, with skillful and delicious rhythm, yet in a simple language. Kylie's Blossoms is a delight to both read and read aloud that both children and adults alike will enjoy.

About:


It tells the story of a girl named Kylie who with her teddy bear adventures out in the woods. Kylie and her cuddly companion explore the forest nearby her home. They will take us on a journey through the year and meet various floral friends that teach Teddy and her significant life lessons, compassion and empathy. Each month is centered around one charming flower and one sweet story. Each story surrounding an important and positive lesson to enrich Kylie, Teddy and every little reader's development and character.



An excerpt from Kylie's Blossoms,"Happy Valentine's Day"



Night after night, sight of starlight,

Momma combed her hair, while Kylie said a prayer:

"From heaven above, send us your love.

Guide us by day, show us the way."

"Sleep well, Kylie dear, with Teddy right here.

A kiss will you get, there, all set!"

'Twasn't long counting sheep, little girl fast asleep.

Dreams were sweet and dandy, of Valentine hearts and candy.


Maria Jordan was raised near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she has worked in the nursing field for 30 years. "Kylie's Blossoms" is her first publication, dedicated to her great niece, Kylie, with 12 timeless lessons for all little girls.
Source: Maria Jordan


  • Title: Kylie's Blossoms
  • Author: Maria Jordan
  • Illustrator: Michael Friedman
  • Publisher: Mockingbird Books
  • Publication Date: First Edition 2012
  • Format: Hardcover 5.5" x 8.5" 32 color pages.
  • ISBN: 978-0-9860114-0-5
  • For Ages: 3+ years
  • Type: Picture book, Young junior


A Charming and Lovable Read


Kylie's Blossoms is a charming and lovable read and is such a wonderful gift to any child at any age. This book will definitely become a favorite year-round bedtime story with the children. I hope to see more Kylie and Teddy adventures soon! Kylie's Blossoms can be purchased at Amazon